Learn English: How to make Conversation and Small Talk about the Weather
Do people in your country chat about the weather? When you’re making small talk, you can be sure that at some point the weather will be a topic for discussion! In whatever social or business situation you are in, being able to chat about the weather is a great way to break the ice.
Have a look at this helpful lesson on Small Talk and The Weather to help you speak English with confidence
- You will be able to chat and make small talk about the weather
- You will practice using ‘will’, won’t and ‘will question form’ to talk about the weather
Let’s Get Started
What’s the weather like today?
Look at the table and answer the questions which follow.
|12pm today||°C||12pm tomorrow||°C|
|San Francisco||Fg||21||San Francisco||S||17|
|St Petersburg||Sn||-1||St Petersburg||Fg||2|
S=sunny C=cloudy Fg=foggy R=rainy Sn=snowy
- What is the weather like in San Francisco today?
- What will the weather be like in San Francisco tomorrow?
- What is the temperature like in Shanghai today?
- Will the temperature in Shanghai be higher or lower tomorrow?
- Is it supposed to be rainy in Dublin tomorrow?
- Have you heard the forecast for Stockholm tomorrow?
Now look at the table again and ask the class your own questions.
Reporting and predicting the weather
- Read the sentences and fill the gaps with the missing words:
What’s there changeable looks with get weather about will day
- Well, here in London it is quite cool and windy today. It is ______ 12°C
- It ______ be warmer on Sunday. It’ll be around 18°C.
- ______ the weather like there, Bob?
- It’s a beautiful ______ here.
- The ______ is great/awful/terrible today.
- On Friday it’ll be sunny ______ winds of 10-15mph. (miles per hour)
- Our forecast says it will ______ worse on Thursday.
- Maybe ______ will be showers later on.
- It ______ like it’s going to rain tomorrow.
- The weather is a bit ______ .
- Look at these phrases and match the pairs to complete the sentences.
|I think it will be
It won’t be cloudy
Will the weather
I hope there
If it rains
They say it
If it is too hot we
I think it will
It will be very
| will get better when we go home!
windy at the coast
will stay in the hotel
be foggy in the morning
will be rain soon
will snow tomorrow
we won’t go to the barbecue
warm and sunny next week
get better for next week?
and wet in Miami.
Role Play: Weather reporter
Scan the information on the weather from the BBC website
Answer any questions the trainer may have.
What have you learnt this lesson?
What do you need to improve on before the next?
What do you think would be useful to do next lesson for you to progress further?